Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Father Time is a Tortoise

I watched a friends precious girls today.  It is good for me to get a baby back in my hands every once in a while. Today I dug out my sling and carried Sweet Baby Girl to the park, all snuggled and sleeping against my chest.  I miss those days. As I watched the other three munchkins run ahead on the sidewalk, laughing and squealing I just took a deep breath and did my best to slow time. A few blocks later I watched them run the bases of a local Little League field, felt the sun on my face, shielded Baby from the cool breeze, I again breathed deeply of that sweet moment.

Forget the laundry, the pillows I've been meaning to re-cover, the jungle of weeds waiting to become something beautiful. My "to do's" and lists often make me feel like there aren't enough hours in the day.  But when I don't rush him, Father Time can be as persistently and pleasantly slow as a tortoise. 

My oldest just turned 8. Time does fly. But I wouldn't want it to stop. There are so many more things to discover with each new season and stage.  I don't wish it to stop, but I don't want to rush it either. I think the difference is mostly perspective.  Today, I didn't try to accomplish a bunch. I took each hour at a time and gave myself to what was in front of me. I said "yes" instead of "maybe later".  A walk to the park,  a chat with a friend, books at nap time, coloring Easter eggs after school (better late than never?!), dinner and opera singing in the kitchen before baths, bowling, and bed. When I look back on today I didn't waste it, but I also didn't over plan it.
I am learning, that there is value in the seasons of slow.  I tend to be one who is always looking for the next big thing.  My next project, cause, assignment, change.  But I think I am being called into a season of slow and steady.  Not just "un-busy-ness" but a season where I learn to value time - to use it well. Not necessarily the most efficiently, but the most effectively. Take walks, do crafts, read books, ask questions, seek answers, listen.

How do I quit rushing time by filling it so full it's always about to spill over with the tiniest jolt? How do I manage it in a way that keeps my responsibilities accomplished, but makes my mind resist the endless list-making?

I want more days like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment