Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Lone Ranger

I like to do things by myself.  I often have the attitude of "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." However, today I embarked on an experience that I could not complete on my own.  I had to to have help or I would have failed, and I felt that wasn't an option.  Needing other people is a humbling thing.  Asking people to join you in a not so glamorous endeavor is not easy.  Feeling the fool isn't fun. But obedience is life giving, and participating with others in life giving experiences establishes deep community.  I am thankful for those who helped me, who played the fool with me, and who supported me so I could complete my mission.

But why is it that, even though life is so much more enjoyable a midst other wayfarers, we so often isolate ourselves.  The Lone Ranger was mysterious, but he was 'lone'.  I mean, I 'm sure Silver was lovely, but I'll take some human contact and conversation over the equestrian kind any day. Yet, I so often choose the lonely life.  I don't share my struggles or even triumphs with others.  Maybe it's some attempt at self-protection or false humility, maybe it's easier to stay disengaged. Maybe it's easier to keep to myself so that I am not accountable for follow through (see previous post :) ). Whatever the reason, by having the mindset that the easiest path is the one I walk alone, I miss out on so much life.

1 comment:

  1. I've struggled with that myself for quite some time now. Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete