Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Starting Simple

A friend of mine encouraged me to write...everyday, no matter what, whether profound or not, so I have a few minutes and will write.

As some may or may not know I lead a team of abolitionists this last year in a fund and awareness raising project called Free|Five. Our goal was to raise $25000 and to fund 5 rescue operations through the organization International Justice Mission.  We surpassed our goal in 7 months and I was quickly on to another big project: directing the local community theater's summer musical.  I knew after this that there would be no more projects for a while. I had been slowly wrapping up other commitments and felt that I was supposed to have a pretty wide open schedule once school started in late August. Check.

I have to admit that not having a project was difficult for me at first, difficult and wonderful.  I have now settled into a much more laid back season.  I am home most evenings, have my housework done (relatively regularly) by the time the kids are in bed, and have enjoyed relaxed evenings with my husband. It has allowed me one of my many joys as a mother - reading with Tessie each night.  We are nearing the end of the third book in the Little House series "Farmer Boy".  I am inspired by the industrious matriarchs in these books!  I now know how they got so much done everyday...they worked hard!  They were focused and not distracted by time wasters like online shopping and facebook...I mean, uh, what?  They brought their children alongside them and taught them as they worked.  Taught them valuable lessons like how to work hard, how to manage their money, how to work together, how to sacrifice for one another.  They gave them good gifts like these, and tin cups and cows. Wait, what?  Really, I am inspired by their simple lives.  No need to stress about college funds or braces. Just putting in the work to ensure there is enough love and potatoes to go around today. And enough of those things in the cellar to make sure we make it through the winter.

I am beginning to understand why I was led to slow down. To scale back even the things that were "good" so that I could see and appreciate the very simple and precious gifts that are my family and my time. I am no longer looking toward what might be next for me, but learning to spend today - living today...and working diligently at storing up spiritual fruits in the cellar of my soul so that I am prepared and ready for whatever tomorrow might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment